Prof. Ahrar Baig -
By Kazi Zulkader Siddiqui, 671/Latif
Mr. Ahrar Hussain Baig joined Cadet
College Petaro as lecturer of Chemistry in 1975 and
retired as Professor and Head of Department of Chemistry in 2005.
He was born on 14
July 1945 at Banaras city in India. He got married
to Mrs. Zameer-un-Nisa on 12 February 1971. They have 5
children - Asif 84113/Iqbal House, Nazish, Fariha,
Samreen and Danish 92139/Jinnah House.
Sb is now settled down in Karachi.
At the time of his
birth, his father was employed at Azamgarh, but the
family was settled in Banaras. Three years after
independence of Pakistan, the family migrated and moved to
Peshawar in 1950.
Then they moved again to Karachi in 1953 where his
father was employed in the police department.
His early education
was at Vastania Government School in Karachi until 7th
class. His father was transferred to Baghdadi Thana
colony, and thus the young Ahrar Baig joined Bihar
Colony Government High School in 8th class and completed
his matric from there in 1959. He then joined S.M.
Science College. However due to illness he lost a year,
and finally completed his Intermediate in 1962 and B.Sc.
in 1964 from that college.
Soon after his
graduation, he joined Abdullah Haroon School as a
Chemistry teacher and worked there for a year in
1964-1965. He then decided to get his master's degree
and got admission to Karachi University. He obtained his
M.Sc. in Organic Chemistry from there in 1967.
After his master's
degree, he rejoined Abdullah Haroon School and worked
for two more years between 1967-1969. That year, he
joined the Wool Test House as a Hair Research Assistant.
His job was to do research and analysis on hair of goats
of different breeds for use in the carpet industry.
After working a year, he left them in 1970 with all the
troubles in the country after the resignation of
President Ayub Khan.
In 1970, he joined
Karachi Municipal Corporation (KMC) as a Food Analyst.
He was in charge of the chemical analysis laboratory for
testing food products. He worked there for 5 years until
1975. This was a difficult job due to heavy pressures of
corruption where people wanted their inferior products
passed. He prayed to get out of it and finally he got a
chance to get back into the field of education.
He applied for a
teaching job at Cadet College Petaro and was interviewed
at Noor Mohd. High School, Hyderabad. He was selected
and finally joined the college in April 1975 as
Lecturer. He served Petaro for 30 years until his
retirement in 2005.
At Petaro, he was the House Master of
Ayub House between 1982-1989.
He was also in charge of the poultry farm for 20 years, and he
was the pioneer of the beverage plant. At this beverage plant,
they were producing different types of beverages like cola,
orange drink and sprite type drink for consumption by the
cadets and the colony residents.
He was also the Patron of
the Chemical Hobbies Club
between 1976-1986. He tried to bring innovation into the club
by showing cadets how to produce cosmetics, boot polish and
other items of home use.
Ahrar sb was promoted to
the rank of an Assistant Professor in 1980 and as professor in
1997. At the same time, he was also appointed the Head of
Department of Chemistry that same year. He was given the Best
Teacher of the Year award by the college in 2000.
After his retirement from
Petaro, he moved to Karachi. Initially he joined the Pakistan
Navy Shipyard Training School as Chemistry teacher between
2005-2007. He then worked as a chemistry teacher at Escort
School, Karachi between 2007-2008. Since then he has been
leading a retired life in Karachi.