Muhammad Ramzan Qureshi

Asst. Professor of Physics (1987-2004)

 

Mr. Muhammad Ramzan Qureshi

By Kazi Zulkader Siddiqui, 671/Latif

Mr. Muhammad Ramzan Qureshi joined Cadet College Petaro in 1987 as Lecturer in Physics and retired from the college in 2004 as assistant professor.

Qureshi Sahib was born on 10 April 1944 at Rewari, East Punjab, and got married to Mrs. Shahida on 28 March 1968 at Hyderabad. They have 5 children - Rehan, Rizwan 87112/Latif, Farhan 90139/Jinnah, Farzan 2001111/Qasim and Ayesha.

Ramzan Sb's father used to work for the Indian Railways prior to partition. Soon after the independence of Pakistan, he moved with his family to Pakistan and initially settled down in Dadu and then at Hyderabad.

Young Ramzan Qureshi started his primary education in 1950 at Mian Ali Bakhsh Sindhi High School at Hyderabad. After completing his primary education in 1954, he moved to Hidayatullah High School, Hyderabad where he studied until 1959. He then joined Jamia Arabiya High School Hyderabad from where he completed his Matric in 1961. In those days the Matric examination used to be conducted by Sindh University and the Board of Secondary Education was established in 1962.

He then joined Government College Hyderabad from where he completed his Intermediate in 1963.

Due to family circumstances, he took up a job as Lab Assistant at Sindh University right after completing his Intermediate in 1963. While he was working, he decided to pursue his further education through evening classes. He thus, joined Govt College Hyderabad again in 1966 and completed his B.Sc. degree in 1968.

He then got a scholarship from Sindh University for his masters program, and he quit his job as Lab Assistatn. He completed his M.Sc. in Physics in 1970.

With his M.Sc. degree completed, he joined Cantonment High School Hyderabad (now known as FG High School) as Science Teacher. He worked there from 1970-1973 and used to teach Physics and Mathematics.

In 1973, he was given employment by the Govt of Sindh Education Dept in Grade 17, and appointed as Subject Specialist in Science at Comprehensive High School, Mirpurkhas. Realizing that his career would be stunted there, he requested for a transfer, and in 1974 he was appointed as Lecturer in Physics at Nabi Bagh Ziauddin College, Pakistan Quarters, Karachi.

1975 was a year of change for him. He was selected by the Nigerian Federal Ministry of Education and he resigned from his job with the Sindh Govt. and moved to Nigeria.

His first appointment in Nigeria was as Education Officer Grade 1 and he was sent to teach mathematics at Teachers' College at Bama in the Northeastern State. Bama was located 75Km away from the state headquarters of Maiduguri. Shortly thereafter, the Northeastern State was split into 3 parts, and he remained in the Borno State where Bama was situated.

In 1978, he was promoted to the rank of Senior Education Officer and posted to Guashua in Borno State to teach mathematics at the Teachers' College there.

His next promotion happened in 1980 when we was made the Principal Education Officer at the Federal Government Girls College, Potiskum in Borno State. He remained in this position until 1986.

Towards the end of 1986, he decided to quit the job due to the downturn in the Nigerian economy and devaluation of the currency. He ended his contract there and returned to Pakistan with another job offer in hand from Nigeria.

In February 1987, he also applied for a job at Cadet College Petaro. He was selected instantly to the position of lecturer after doing a demonstration in which Cdr. Asrarullah, Prof. Ch. Saeed Ahmed, Prof. A.A. Faruqui, and Prof. M.P. Durrani interviewed him. He was promised a permanent job, though he did not receive the final letter of confirmation until Capt. Amin Khan joined as principal.

He was promoted to the rank of Assistant Professor in 1994.

In 1991, he was appointed House Master of Ayub House - a position he retained until his retirement in 2004. He was also the Patron of the Aeromodelling Club from 1991-1993. He also served as Assistant Examination Officer.

He finally retired from service at Petaro in 2004 as Assistant Professor.

Soon after his retirement, he was offered 2 jobs in Hyderabad and he opted for both on part-time basis. He was working at Hayat Girls College in the mornings until 11am, and then at the Army Public School for the rest of the day as Professor of Physics.

After a year, in 2005 he was forced to opt for either one of the 2 schools on a full-time basis. And he chose to work at Hayat Girls College, which is owned by Prof. Wahid Bux Shaikh. He is still employed as Professor at this institution.